The Whistler's Dream

Everybody needs a dream...
Mine is to go to Oklahoma and play whistles for The Pioneer Woman. (Having been invited, not in a "creepy stalker" kind of way, for the record.) Heck, I'd play in a pup tent in the backyard for the joy of the cows and critters. What can I say? I'm a fan.
Everybody needs a dream...

Random Fluffy Foto!

Random Fluffy Foto!
Writing in bed, and Beka editing by ear. Really. The ear typed some letters. Really.

Friday, October 21, 2005

The power of a song

I mentioned a bit ago that I've actually had some creative things going on... and I owe it all to Reason.

Reason?

Yup. Reason (from Propellerheads software) is a self-contained MIDI instrument. It has a number of synths in it, samplers, loop players, and other doo-dads that work together in blissful harmony. And I've discovered that Reason and I get along really well. I have other instrument and sequencing programs, but Reason and I seem to communicate well.

Which brings me to the song. My favorite hymn is Oh The Deep Deep Love Of Jesus. First heard it at a memorial service for a friend at college. David Chase died of a heart attack the night before our freshmen year at CU, in Quincer hall. At his memorial service, I heard the song for the first time, and never forgot it.

Unfortunately, it has two things that make it not on the most-heard-hymns list. First, it's in a minor key... Don't get me started on the issues people have with songs in minor keys. Second, when it does actually see the light of day, for some reason organists see it, see 6/8 or 6/4, and think, "swashbuckling drinking song." So it flies along and you lose all the thoughts in the great lyrics.

That song stayed with me throughout college, prompted me to arrange it for organ, as well as tuba quartet (actually quintet - I also used a flugelhorn), and finally has been arranged in Reason. I'm actually quite pleased with the result, although it's only 97% finished. Still some tweaking and polishing to do before it's ready for the CD.

A song can do that to us. It can stay with us over a long time (in my case, since January of 1978), and bring back memories, teach us things, or encourage us. Rest well in the presence of your Savior, Dave - see you someday. :-D

And, if you'd like to hear the end result, let us know.

Oh The Deep Deep Love Of Jesus
Written By: Samuel Trevor Francis
Music By: Thomas J. Williams


Oh the deep deep love of Jesus
vast unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean
in its fullness over me,
underneath me, all around me,
is the current of thy love -
leading onward, leading homeward,
to my glorious rest above

Oh the deep deep love of Jesus
spread his praise from shore to shore!
How he loveth, ever loveth,
changeth never, never more.
How he watches o'er his loved ones,
died to call them all his own;
how for them he intercedeth,
watches o'er them from the throne

Oh the deep deep love of Jesus
love of every love the best
still an ocean vast of blessing
still a haven sweet of rest
Oh the deep deep love of Jesus
'tis a heav'n of heav'ns to me;
and it lifts me up to glory
for it lifts me up to thee

No comments: