The Whistler's Dream

Everybody needs a dream...
Mine is to go to Oklahoma and play whistles for The Pioneer Woman. (Having been invited, not in a "creepy stalker" kind of way, for the record.) Heck, I'd play in a pup tent in the backyard for the joy of the cows and critters. What can I say? I'm a fan.
Everybody needs a dream...

Random Fluffy Foto!

Random Fluffy Foto!
Writing in bed, and Beka editing by ear. Really. The ear typed some letters. Really.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

RIP, Bernard Overton 1930-2008

Over the weekend, the whistle world lost one of the great geniuses of all time - Bernard Overton.

Called the Father of the Low Whistle, it was Bernard who really began the production of low whistles, and the whistles he made (as well as Colin Goldie, who learned from Bernard and earned the right to use the Overton name) are regarded as some of the best low whistles in the world.

In my own collection, there is one Bass Bb whistle that Bernard made, as well as a few made by Colin, and they are my "never leave home without them" instruments.

Thank you, Bernard - your work gave people like me a voice to sing with. You will be missed.

No comments: