The Whistler's Dream

Everybody needs a dream...
Mine is to go to Oklahoma and play whistles for The Pioneer Woman. (Having been invited, not in a "creepy stalker" kind of way, for the record.) Heck, I'd play in a pup tent in the backyard for the joy of the cows and critters. What can I say? I'm a fan.
Everybody needs a dream...

Random Fluffy Foto!

Random Fluffy Foto!
Writing in bed, and Beka editing by ear. Really. The ear typed some letters. Really.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

A mini-milestone!

Well, today is one of those days that makes staying on this path worth it. I'm playing at Meijer Gardens tonight - an event for their members called Night Of The Butterflies. And, Vicki shortened a new pair of pants for me.

All pretty boring, but here's the thing... The new pants are corduroys, and are the first non-stretch pants I've worn in at least three years. (but probably more like 5 years...) And, they're a size lower than I've worn in many years. And, they aren't wide leg!

A note for those who are saying, "Not wide leg? What's the big deal with that?" One of the issues that I deal with is called lymphedema - the inablilty of a part of the body (in my case, my left leg below the knee with leanings toward it showing in my right leg as well) to evacuate fluid via the lymph system. So, the fluid just gathers in that extremity, causing it to swell and be succeptable to all kinds of nasties. If you get the mental picture of one of Popeye the Sailor's arms, that's kind of the effect... I wear compression stockings on both legs to keep my legs from swelling during the day, and sleep with them raised at night to reduce the swelling.

(Whew! That was a long way to go for all that, wasn't it?...) Anyway, for me to be able to wear pants that don't have wide legs, and for my legs to actually fit in them is a huge thing. :-)

So, we'll be whistling and wind synthing at the Gardens tonight, and weighing in at MMPC tomorrow. And, getting to use three 'W' words in the same sentence right now. Life is good!! :-)

3 comments:

Cal said...

The weight loss is what is taking the legs down. If I go without my stockings, or without elevating my legs at night, the legs still swell. But, without some of the other complications that I had going on (like diabetes), the lymphedema is much more manageable. Infections don't get as strong of a foothold, and my healing is a lot better, so anything that happens to the legs is not as catastrophic as before I lost the weight.

amelia said...

Way to go!! Thanks for sharing your journey. We are praying for you and can't wait to see what all God does for you through this process. Hang in there; you're doing great!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Keep up the good work. God bless you.