The Whistler's Dream

Everybody needs a dream...
Mine is to go to Oklahoma and play whistles for The Pioneer Woman. (Having been invited, not in a "creepy stalker" kind of way, for the record.) Heck, I'd play in a pup tent in the backyard for the joy of the cows and critters. What can I say? I'm a fan.
Everybody needs a dream...

Random Fluffy Foto!

Random Fluffy Foto!
Writing in bed, and Beka editing by ear. Really. The ear typed some letters. Really.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Busy Weekend... and birthday stuff...

Whew! A busy weekend indeed...

Had two gigs on Friday - Pilgrim Manor in the afternoon, and then Frenz in Grand Rapids that night. A wonderful time was had by all at Frenz - including the group that stopped in as we were wrapping up for a mini-concert. Some of the most amazing things happen when you're not expecting them. :-D I'm very much looking forward to going to the Rockford location in June, as well as returning to the GR Frenz sometime soon.

Saturday was rest, and then babysitting that night.

Sunday was the usual in the morning, and that night I led the singing at a hymnsing at church. It was a blast, but boy was I tired when we got home. You wouldn't think waving your arms around for an hour would take that much out of you, but it did. :-D

Then today. We went over to Saginaw to meet my aunt and celebrate...

my birthday. Yup - the Captain is now Thirty-Eighteen. (48) Two to go to the big five-oh.

So, what am I looking forward to this year?

Bariatric surgery I'm in the "hoping the insurance will give permission so we can get on the waiting list to get it scheduled" phase of the process. As with all medical things, it's a hurry-up-and-wait thing.

Knee Replacement We've had a visit to the orthopedic doc, who (of course) told me that in order to have knee replacement (which is not an if, but a when), I need to lose the weight first. But, to lose the weight, I need to be able to move and exercise, and with my knees as bad as they are, I can't do that, so I need the knees replaced, but they won't do that until... Get the picture? Grrr.... So, we're trying to find a surgeon that will go ahead and do the knees, knowing that once the gastric bypass happens, the issue of weight will change. And, frankly, after the bariatric surgery, all other surgeries get a LOT more difficult (because of nutritional balances, etc), so I'd rather get the knees over with, and then do the tougher stuff of the gastric bypass. So, we wait until the next appointment, with the surgeon in July. And we pray.

Bike Riding? Not right now, unfortunately... The knees are bad to the point where the bike is going to be almost out of the question. However, I am praying about a replacement for my ReBike, since I've pretty well gotten to the point where it won't work for me anymore. There is a place that will build a new bike for me, to my frame, allowing for my long torso and short legs, but that'll take a LOT of cash. We're praying that the Lord sells either mom's house or the farm, and we could go ahead with the new bike, which SHOULD help even with my bad knees.

Does that sound like a bad year? I really don't see it that way. It's simply time for a change. I've taken a year to get over this major life change, to try and accept my new path, and now it's time to move along. There's some hope on the horizon, but it's a little far away yet. But it's there... and getting closer. :-D

Happy birthday to me. :-)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey - Happy Birthday! (Whew, just made it, with 26 minutes to spare) :)

Anonymous said...

...the way I see it is: had I shown prior knowledge of your birthday, that would mean that I was aware of your aging. Bu not doing that, instead of being a bad friend, I merely don't perceive you as aging...Hope all was well on your day of aging :)

sJMcJ

(sorry, I have forgotten which letters I usually capitalize, and which ones I don't...arrgh, I have the memory of a...DOH!)