The Whistler's Dream

Everybody needs a dream...
Mine is to go to Oklahoma and play whistles for The Pioneer Woman. (Having been invited, not in a "creepy stalker" kind of way, for the record.) Heck, I'd play in a pup tent in the backyard for the joy of the cows and critters. What can I say? I'm a fan.
Everybody needs a dream...

Random Fluffy Foto!

Random Fluffy Foto!
Writing in bed, and Beka editing by ear. Really. The ear typed some letters. Really.

Friday, September 28, 2007

First ride, first fall...

The Anla'shok came home today. It was here last week, we worked on assembling it Friday and Saturday, decided it had a couple of issues that needed professional help, took it to Freewheeler on Monday, and it came home today. Vicki rode it home, and she did a fine job even though it was kind of like watching a 3 year old trying to ride dad's bike.

She went back to work, I adjusted the seat a bit, and took it to the end of the block and back. Oi. I thought I knew how to ride a recumbent, but this bike is very VERY different. Not in a bad way - just different.

Then, coming back to the house and up the driveway, I answered the question of when the first crash would be. :-D Fortunately, it was on the grass, and the bike didn't seem to get any damage. Took me a while to figure out how to get up off the ground, but there we are.

And yes, I did get back up on it and try it again. If you fall of the horse, and need a forklift to get back up, get on the bike again before the horse poops on you. Or something like that. Almost ditched it the second time, but I managed to stick the dismount.

Opinion? There's a learning curve, but this thing flies. :-D The guy at the bike shop said, "the steering is a little weird at first, but once you get going, this thing flies - I was going about 25 mph without much effort at all." Pretty much sums up the recumbent world - when you get going on them, they haul shell.

Pictures soon. But for now, the Anla'shok is in da house. A gift from some folks who want me to be around for many years to come. I know the snow will fly soon, but until then, I'll be hitting the trail on the new ride.

Just as long as I'm not hitting the trail... literally. *ouch*

3 comments:

Suzie said...

does it have clipless pedals?

Cal said...

No - I'm not nearly coordinated enough to use clipless pedals. I know it would help, so maybe someday I'll go that direction.

Wanna go riding sometime? :-D Vicki and I are WAAAAAY out of shape, but we're working on it. :-D

Jenelle said...

Happy trails (without falls) to you - until we meet again.