The Whistler's Dream

Everybody needs a dream...
Mine is to go to Oklahoma and play whistles for The Pioneer Woman. (Having been invited, not in a "creepy stalker" kind of way, for the record.) Heck, I'd play in a pup tent in the backyard for the joy of the cows and critters. What can I say? I'm a fan.
Everybody needs a dream...

Random Fluffy Foto!

Random Fluffy Foto!
Writing in bed, and Beka editing by ear. Really. The ear typed some letters. Really.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Like riding a bike...

But this post is not about bike riding. :-D

Isn't it amazing how a skill that is once learned can come back? It's been a long LONG time since I've done a regular storytelling gig. My usual thing is take my routine to a church, do a program, and I'm gone. Sometimes, they call me to come back, but usually it's a while between.

This summer, I'm doing a weekly gig at Frenz Coffee House in GR. Every Wednesday morning at 10:30. Which means I see some of the same faces every week. Which means, I need to have something different every week. :-D

The magic is not an issue - I have enough equipment, left over from my days doing this as my full-time gig to get me through a couple of summers. But the stories are another issues. There are some that can be repeated, and if I see mostly new faces like this morning, I'll repeat a story or two. But mostly, each week needs new stories.

The point? Although it's been a while since I've done stories and magic this regularly, the skills are still there. The gift and the passion that the Lord put in me for telling stories is still there, as strong as ever. I'm having to stretch, learn new material, and practice a lot, but that's good. I was due for a change anyway. But the basic abilities are still there, just waiting to be used.

Has the Lord given you a gift, a skill - something to use for Him? Maybe it's time to take it out, dust it off, and give it a go. You never know where or when He might use it.

And when He does, it's amazing!!!! Just drop by Frenz some Wednesday morning at 10:30, and you'll see what I mean. :-D (but not next week - I'm off for the 4th of July)

2 comments:

amelia said...

Have you ever met my father-in-law? He does magic and storytelling as a full-time ministry (for over 30 years). If you haven't, you should ask Topher to introduce you sometime. I'll have to tell some of my friends with kids about your gig!

Cal said...

I think Topher mentioned it once, but I'll definitely ask him. :-D

And I'd love to see some AmeliaFriends at the gig - we're off next week for the 4th, but every week thereafter through August. :-D